Background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mountain Man Rendezvou

I was able to go on Brock's field trip with the 3 4th grade classes to the mountain man rendezvous.  We had a great time spending the day together hearing all about the mountain men and their way of life.

Yes that lady is playing the flutes with her nose.

 Some serious drumming

 Where's Brock?

 This lady told the kids how you get your mountain man name. You either to something really cool or something really stupid. After we talked to her the kids asked every other presenter what their mountain man name was and how they got it. The kids loved the stories of the people who did something stupid to earn their name.

 This was a favorite. The man was making bullets out of lead.  It was really cool.

 The man makes these sashes on the loom. They cost around $100 each. 

We also learned how to put up a teepee. At least a miniature version.  We had such a great time and the weather held out and didn't rain on us.

2 comments:

D said...

What a fun-and interesting, I'll bet-- field trip. I have to say I like the hat, Brock!

momofsomja said...

Glad this went well for you! The one time we went to the mountain man rendezvous, we went on a weekend when they apparently let themselves *cough* down *cough* and wore only loin cloths since the school kids had come through on the weekdays. Let's just say we got an "education"!
Good times!