Background

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me in St George


  My amazing wonderful husband planned a weekend get-a-way for my birthday. My even more amazing wonderful mother-in-law came and stayed with the kids while we were gone. Jason and I left Friday morning for sunshine and relaxation. While in St George enjoying the above 80 degree weather, something we have not enjoyed in Cache Valley since last October, Jason and I biked, hiked, went to the movies, ate out, shopped and got as much sun as possible.


On Saturday we went to Snow Canyon national park to bike and hike. Neither of us have done much biking since last summer with the kids so we started out small with a short 8 mile ride.  It was gorgeous. With all the rain the cactus plants were still in blossom. The trait took us up between the canyon. I liked that the only wild life we saw was a lizard and a hawk.
  It is incredible how the side of the canyon dramatically changes from red to white rock. The trail wasn't bad with a moderate incline up and then we cruised back down on the way back.
  Once back to the car we drove through the rest of the park.  There was one trail we decided to hike.  It was up to the cinder cone and was only about 1.5 miles. The problem was that it was all uphill and the trail was covered with loose cinder which happen to be sharp and slick. Word of advise - the view totally worth the hike. The cinder cone just a hole.


  After getting really hot, dirty and sweaty we headed back to the hotel to enjoy the pool. The water was freezing so we just sat pool side and read.  I sat in the sun while Jason sat in the shade.  Works for me. 
  It was so relaxing and child free that it was a little hard to come home to the snow that awaited us back in Cache Valley.  On the way home we stopped at Ikea and bought Jason some shelves and cabinets for his office.  We ate dinner at 5 guys burgers and fries. YUMMY!!!
  The kids were so cute when we got home. They had made a big welcome home sign for us and they wanted to see my sunburn. (I didn't get one although I did get a nice tan).  Thanks again Jason and Dee for making this perfect weekend possible!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

So jealous! And I love love love the last picture... It totally looks like he's leaning against it. Good job!

D said...

It looks beautiful. Glad you two got away. Even happier that I got to spend the long weekend with the kids !! :)

Bree said...

Looks and sounds like a blast! I've only ever driven thru St. George...I need to stay and have fun! :)

Air Force Blues said...

What a great hubby to plan a get a way! Glad you had so much fun and got some sun!